[SciPy-dev] scipy status

eric jones eric at enthought.com
Wed Sep 18 17:28:54 EDT 2002

Hey group,

I have a few days coming up here to work on getting a SciPy 0.2 out the
door.  It looks like it is buiding and passing all test on windows, and
I think it is doing OK on Linux.  Sun is close or finished (Skip?).

What I'd like to know is if there are any other known issues that we
need to solve before pushing 0.2 out?

FFT
Pearu, how are things on the fft changes?  I never heard back from djb
on the license issue.  I think we are in the clear to use his code, but
he also seems to get quite exserised with people who cross him:
   http://cr.yp.to/distributors.html

We are statically linking his code so the comments here about installing
it in the correct places doesn't seem to apply -- they look to be aimed
at his executables not library files.

My vote is to move ahead with using them and then remove them later if
he does not like what we are doing.  We can back off again to fftpack
with the same functionality and also the fftw wrappers are still around
for those wanting to use it and not constrained by the GPL.

Does this sound like a reasonable plan for 0.2?

LINALG
How is linalg?  This is by far the biggest build headache, but it does
seem to be working against atlas on windows and linux and against LAPACK
and BLAS on Sun.

Any other specific packages that need mentioning?

Thanks,
eric