[SciPy-dev] error: /tmp/__dummy.f: Permission denied

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Tue Nov 26 20:49:20 EST 2002

    >> running find_fortran_compiler
    >> error: /tmp/__dummy.f: Permission denied

    Pearu> Check your permissions to /tmp.

I believe I solved this at one point but never checked in the fix.  /tmp
shouldn't be used as a temporary directory during builds.  If you happen to
run on a machine shared by multiple people, you're bound to have problems.
Many multi-user machines are administered so that anyone can create files in
/tmp, but that only the owner can modify them.  Fiddling permissions on /tmp
isn't a wise idea in such contexts.

Skip