[SciPy-dev] Module Submission: Orthogonal Distance Regression

eric jones eric at enthought.com
Tue Nov 19 10:38:19 EST 2002

Hey Robert,

Thanks for the submission!

I had to make a few changes to setup.py and test.py to get it flying on
windows.  The diffs are below.

Here's a change summary:
I turned off blas optimization, stuck an import of mingw32_support at
the top of the file, and changed the odr package path from '' to '.'.

On test.py, there as a syntax error on line 64 -- it needed a line
continuation character.

As we move forward with this, should we group the odr tools in a package
with other data fitting tools such as leastsq fit, spline fits, etc.?
While they use different methods, they all serve similar purposes.

eric

C:\third\odr-0.6>diff -c setup.py setup_eric.py
*** setup.py    Sun Nov 10 01:28:40 2002
--- setup_eric.py       Tue Nov 19 09:16:19 2002
***************
*** 13,24 ****
  # separately-compiled LINPACK. Edit the Extension instances
  # below to reflect where your libraries are.

! opt_blas = 1

  # We need to compile FORTRAN files, so check if we would be
  # using gcc anyways: then we can use g77 with impunity.
  # Man, this is such a hack. I'm really, really sorry.
!
  cc = new_compiler()
  sysconfig.customize_compiler(cc)

--- 13,24 ----
  # separately-compiled LINPACK. Edit the Extension instances
  # below to reflect where your libraries are.

! opt_blas = 0

  # We need to compile FORTRAN files, so check if we would be
  # using gcc anyways: then we can use g77 with impunity.
  # Man, this is such a hack. I'm really, really sorry.
! from scipy_distutils import mingw32_support
  cc = new_compiler()
  sysconfig.customize_compiler(cc)

***************
*** 104,110 ****
  #      platforms=["POSIX", "Windows"],

        packages=['odr'],
!       package_dir={'odr': ''},

        ext_modules=[ext]
  )
--- 104,110 ----
  #      platforms=["POSIX", "Windows"],

        packages=['odr'],
!       package_dir={'odr': '.'},

        ext_modules=[ext]
  )

C:\third\odr-0.6\test>diff -c test.py test_eric.py
*** test.py     Sun Nov 10 04:26:08 2002
--- test_eric.py        Tue Nov 19 09:18:50 2002
***************
*** 61,67 ****
  # Implicit Example

  def impl_fcn(B, x, power=power):
!     return B[2]*power(x[0]-B[0], 2) + 2.0*B[3]*(x[0]-B[0])*(x[1]-B[1])
+
          B[4]*power(x[1]-B[1], 2) - 1.0

  impl_mod = Model(impl_fcn, implicit=1, meta={'name': 'Sample Implicit
Model',
--- 61,67 ----
  # Implicit Example

  def impl_fcn(B, x, power=power):
!     return B[2]*power(x[0]-B[0], 2) + 2.0*B[3]*(x[0]-B[0])*(x[1]-B[1])
+ \
          B[4]*power(x[1]-B[1], 2) - 1.0

  impl_mod = Model(impl_fcn, implicit=1, meta={'name': 'Sample Implicit
Model',

eric jones                    515 Congress Ave
www.enthought.com             Suite 1614
512 536-1057                  Austin, Tx 78701

API,