[SciPy-dev] Exact calculation

Robert Kern kern at caltech.edu
Fri Nov 1 03:47:49 EST 2002

On Thu, Oct 31, 2002 at 11:59:49PM -0700, Travis Oliphant wrote:

> But, there is an excellent self-contained module called real.py that is
> completely free (no expressed copyright) By Jurjen N.E. Bos
> (jurjen at q2c.nl).

By default, a work is copyrighted regardless of whether that copyright
is expressed or claimed. I don't see anything in the documentation that
actually gives permission to use it, much less copy or modify it. Of
course, that's not what the author wants. It would be best to contact
the author and ask him to agree to "rerelease" it under an actual
license, Scipy's for preference.

> His module allows one to to infinite digit calculations which can come
> in very handy sometimes.  Should we include a version of this module in
> scipy?

+1
Every time I use a new Python installation, I'm never sure if I've
installed it or where to get it again. It's useful for when you are
evaluating an expression a few times and want to get that extra digit or
20.

--
Robert Kern
Ruddock House President