[SciPy-dev] scipy graphics wiki/website?

Alexander Schmolck a.schmolck at gmx.net
Sun May 5 14:32:37 EDT 2002

clee at spiralis.merseine.nu writes:

> "eric" <eric at scipy.org> writes:
>
> > > Is the wiki the place to set something up?  I'm interested in helping with the
> > > effort with a web page or two reviewing what's available for python graphics,
> > > and an RFC/proposal for the underlying image model.
> >
> > The short answer here is there is a project already underway that will replace
> > plt -- its just been started.  Check out the ViewCVS repository on scipy.org and
> > look for chaco.  I haven't gotten around to writing an announcement or web pages
> > for this project, as I've been working on architectural issues and a proof of
> > concept implementation of the low-level API on wxPython and Mac OS X.  I'll put
> > something together next week though so we can get some discussion going and also
> > so I can get some help... :-)
>
> Great.  I'm checking out the module now.

That's interesting, I will also need to have a look at this soon.

I've started work some time ago on a sort of uniform matlab-style plotting
interface for python which can (ideally) transparently use different backends
('anyplot' for the moment, in analogy to 'anygui' and 'anydbm'). The only
implemented backends so far are matlab (fairly advanced and useable, in fact
it is what I'm using for my work all the time) and xplt (less powerful and
reliable). I hope to make a first public release sometime next week and get
some feedback.

alex

--
Alexander Schmolck     Postgraduate Research Student
                       Department of Computer Science