[SciPy-dev] Some concerns on Scipy development

Magnus Lyckå magnus at thinkware.se
Tue Mar 26 12:09:35 EST 2002

At 02:16 2002-03-26 -0500, Travis Oliphant wrote:
>The point with SciPy is to bring together a lot of different modules in
>one umbrella to make it easier to use.

It's my experience that looser coupling between components
makes them both easier to use and (most of all) easier to
develop and maintain.

In the short run it might be easy to assimilate all in a
borg-like manner, but in the long run it leads to
maintenance problems if coupling is tighter than it needs
to be.

>My vision is that SciPy provides a basic set of functionality that lives
>under the SciPy namespace (this functionality encompasses at least
>Numeric and MLab and other basic functions).

I fail to see why placing more functionality in
one single namespace simplifies life for the users.

--
Magnus Lyckå, Thinkware AB
Älvans väg 99, SE-907 50 UMEÅ
http://www.thinkware.se/  mailto:magnus at thinkware.se