[SciPy-dev] scipy on irix -- problems with bsplines

eric jones eric at enthought.com
Mon Jul 1 19:38:17 EDT 2002

> Hi Eric,
>
> On Thu, 27 Jun 2002, eric jones wrote:
>
> > I also tried building python with MIPSPro C compiler and then SciPy
> > using
> > The MIPSPro compiler suite.  The python build worked fine after
getting
> > readline issues sorted out, and it appeared to work fine.  However,
> > python core dumped in the middle of building the flapack wrappers
with
> > f2py, so it looks like something is working quite right in the
python
> > build.  I'd like to get this working, so if anyone has built
> > SciPy/Python entirely with MIPSPro, fill me in on the secrets.
>
> I have build SciPy entirely with MIPSPro compilers. Here follows my
setup:

> Python 2.1.1 (#1, Oct 21 2001, 16:10:39) [C] on irix646
> Numeric 20.2.1
> $ cc -version
> MIPSpro Compilers: Version 7.30
> $ f77 -version
> MIPSpro Compilers: Version 7.30
> No ATLAS. LAPACK (3.3.14) and BLAS are built from their source (the
latest
> SciPy in CVS supports this feature).
>
> My guess is that the secret you are looking for is to remove forcing
g77
> in scipy/setup.py file.

As mentioned, I still failed.  I'll try again soon though.

> All tests (level=10) pass except weave tests. Typical error messages
from
> weave tests are:
>
> cc-1132 cc: ERROR File = /usr/include/CC/istream, Line = 43
>   The class "std::char_traits<char>" has no member "off_type".
>
>     typedef typename _Traits::off_type off_type;
>                               ^
>           detected during instantiation of class
>                     "std::basic_istream<char, std::char_traits<char>>"
at
> line 92 of "/usr/include/CC/strstream"
>

> cc-1079 cc: ERROR File = /usr/include/CC/strstream, Line = 136
>   A type specifier is expected.
>
>     typedef char_traits<char>::off_type off_type;

Don't know what this is all about, but I'm betting it is a CXX related
issue.  Someday, we'll use something a little lighter weight than CXX
for the dictionary/list/string conversions and this will all go away
(except for the blitz users...).

eric