[SciPy-dev] new buld process in CVS

eric eric at scipy.org
Thu Jan 10 10:57:07 EST 2002

Hey Prabhu,

>     eric> library, in the best scenarios, it would download it from
>     eric> the scipy website.  This is probably a little ways out
>     eric> though.
>
> Maybe once ciphon (http://sourceforge.net/projects/pythonsiphon/) gets
> good enough we could use it.

Yes, it might.  Has anyone played with it at all?  On the other hand,
Python's
ftp/http support is so good, that it only takes a few lines of code to
handle
the download.  The architecture/CPU detection is more difficult, but not to
bad.  Still, if ciphon handles this, then know need to duplicate.

> Also, I noticed on the weave documentation page that you were looking
> for a way to check if given an xterm if there is an X11 display
> available.  The easiest way to do this is to check for the DISPLAY env
> variable.
>
> In [1]: import os
> In [2]: print os.environ['DISPLAY']
> :0.0
>
> On a remote telnet session this will cause a KeyError.
>
> $ python -c "import os; print os.environ.get('DISPLAY')"
> None

Good. Thanks.  I'll try and work this into the code in the needed places.

> Eric, weave.blitz is fantastic!  Great job!!  I haven't really checked
> out weave.inline yet but like blitz a lot. :)

Glad it is working for you.

> One thing I thought I'd mention.  I'm sure you are aware of this but I
> think it worthy of mention.  When you use blitz for an expression the
> computation is different from that when done by numeric.  blitz will
> use the computed values immediately (Gauss-Siedel) while numeric will
> make a copy and do the computation (Gauss-Jordan).  This means that
> sometimes the result of a computation when done by exec(expr) will be
> different from that of blitz(expr).  Here is an example.

This is true.  I definitely need to mention this in the documentation
somewhere.  It can happen if values on the RHS of the equation are also on
the LHS of the equation -- but only in certain circumstances like your
example.  Thanks for pointing this out.

eric