[SciPy-dev] New in fastumath ~ (means conjugate on floats and complex numbers)

Anthony Rossini rossini at u.washington.edu
Tue Feb 26 16:20:51 EST 2002

Yikes.  That little operation is a bit nasty for me.  Explanation: in S (and hence in R, the stat languages that I referred to a while back),
~ is the "model building" operator, i.e. "y ~ x" refers to "y = x + e", where
e is the associated error term (go back to linear models or regression, if you will)_.  I'd like to extend SciPy to use this language at some point, and direct would be better than having to quote it (but that's probably where we will end up).

I rarely need conjugation, but readily acknowledge that other computational areas really need that feature.

best,
-tony