[SciPy-dev] The next generation of the scipy site

Prabhu Ramachandran prabhu at aero.iitm.ernet.in
Mon Feb 25 00:52:23 EST 2002

>>>>> "eric" == eric  <eric at scipy.org> writes:

    eric> One other thing I've been thinking about is setting up a
    eric> SciPy chat room.  Prabhu and I have occasionally used one at
    eric> www.debian.org (I think).  There have been multiple times
    eric> when I wished that I could talk with several people at a
    eric> time instantly instead of waiting for emails to bounce
    eric> around.  The main thing I don't like about this idea is that
    eric> it isn't archived, and I think this is very important.  Has
    eric> anyone ever written a script to watch an IRC channel and
    eric> record it?  We could keep these archives like the email
    eric> archives on SciPy.

Yes, this is a very good idea.  I dont know enough about chat to say
if archiving is possible at the server.  But I do know that a chat
client can easily archive a chat session (although I havent done that
in a while).  I guess it should be relatively easy to do.  At the
least we could simply have one bot or user always on the chat room
that simply logs all messages.

prabhu