[SciPy-dev] Re: Octave array formatting examples

janko hauser jhauser at ifm.uni-kiel.de
Mon Feb 18 17:05:25 EST 2002

Fernando Pérez writes:
 > On Mon, 18 Feb 2002, eric wrote:
 >
 > > Hey Fernando,
 > >
 > > Here are some sample octave outputs.  At the end is the output of the format
 > > command options and their meanings for Octave.
 >
 > Thanks. Some comments:
 >
 > 1. It can all be done in IPython, no problem. The format thing can be
 > implemented as a magic command which sets a global (internal) flag, and the
 > printing subsystem queries that flag at print time.

I think there is an easier way. The str() representation of arrays is
done by a module, which can be overloaded or replaced. There was once
somebody who has done this and also implemented the nice feature to
only show array up to some size. New users of NumPy had very often the
suprise, that the building of the output for big arrays take such a
long time, that it looks like the system is hanging. (The output is
not streaming).

__Janko