[SciPy-dev] scipy / f2py / debian

Pearu Peterson pearu at scipy.org
Mon Aug 26 18:25:44 EDT 2002

On Mon, 26 Aug 2002, eric jones wrote:

> Pearu, you've put the most work into scipy_distutils lately.  Whats your
> estimation of the work required to get this in the core.

I think you summarized well the issues with distutils and Fortran support.
Making a first patch should not require too much work (may be a full
week should be enough). I only think that the current build_flib.py
should be splitted into two parts:
1) command/build_flib.py - with a similar functionality as build_clib.py
but a library is built from Fortran sources
2) fcompiler.py - Fortran compiler definitions, similar to ccompiler.py

During the development of scipy_distutils I think we have learned a lot
about distutils internals but there are still some parts where
scipy_distutils could take more advantage of the code in distutils.
Of cource, in many places simple patches to distutils would simplify that
task considerably.

I could start working with distutils again but currently I can do that
only in background: I want to finish fftpack (btw, I am getting
performance boosts upto 5 times with fftpack2:-) and my daily work needs
to be done.

Pearu