[SciPy-dev] Re: scipy / SGI MIPSpro compiler (part 3)

Pearu pearu at scipy.org
Sat Aug 24 18:03:19 EDT 2002

On Sat, 24 Aug 2002, Steve M. Robbins wrote:

> Hi again,
>
> I've managed to build and install scipy (using the two patches sent
> previously) on an IRIX 6.5 system with SGI's MIPSpro C compiler and
> GNU Fortran (GCC 3.2).  I'm using CVS scipy.

Thanks for the patches. I think nobody have applied them yet but I'll do
it as soon as I'll get time for it.

> For instance, a simple "import scipy" results in a warning:

> /home/bic/stever/irix-6/lib/python2.1/site-packages/scipy/linalg/lapack.py:24: UserWarning: exceptions.ImportError: No module named clapack
>   warnings.warn(clapack.__doc__)
> exceptions.ImportError: No module named cblas
>
> I don't think this is a problem -- the comments in lapack.py suggest
> that either Fortran or C lapack is okay.  I'm not sure why the exception
> is raised. (??)  I'm not sure where the exception about cblas comes
> from -- is cblas required?  (I'm using the Fortran BLAS sources, compiled
> during the scipy build)

Actually there is no exception raised. Only the exception message is shown
as a warning of missing cblas. cblas (and clapack) is build only if ATLAS
is available.
I am not sure yet whether this warning should be displayed or not.
Sometimes it can indicate real problems...

> Now, when I run the test suite itself,
>
>     python -c 'import scipy; scipy.test(level=1)' 2>err | tee out
>
> I get some more worrying messages.  Here are the standard output
> and standard error, respectively.  I'd appreciate any comments if
> I've done something wrong in building scipy.  Are these messages
> about "No test suite found for ..." normal?

Yes, they are normal but only temporarily. All these missing test suites
should be implemented, eventually.

Only the failures at the end of this message are crucial and worth
worrying about. What f2py version are you using? Could you get the latest
f2py from CVS and run the following tests:

cd f2py2e && python setup.py install
cd f2py2e/tests/f77
python return_integer.py --quite
python return_logical.py --quite
python return_real.py --quite
python return_complex.py --quite
python return_character.py --quite

All these commands should display `ok'. If not, then remove --quite option
and run again to see more verbose output. You can send the stdout/stderr
messages directly to me.

Pearu