[SciPy-dev] fftpack revisited

eric jones eric at enthought.com
Sun Aug 18 16:18:31 EDT 2002

Hey Pearu,

Here are my thoughts:

1.  Given a choice, I like f2py wrappers over hand wrappers because they
are easier to maintain.
2.  I think the axis argument is important.  It allows users to choose
how they lay out their data instead of SciPy defining how they should do
it.  The axis should default to -1 so that the default behavior operates
on contiguous memory without copying for efficiency.  This is the
default used throughout the SciPy library.

As far as whether looping over the data sets in C or Python has much
impact on speed, a simple test would be to rewrite one of Travis'
functions in Python (such as fft) and then compare the two.  If Python
is within a few percent of the wrapped fft when testing "normal sized"
2d and 3d arrays, then the benefit of having the code in C is not to
great.

So, I'd be happy to see fftpack become an f2py generated library as long
as (1) we're very sure that the new version is at least as robust as the
old version, and (2) there is very little penalty for using Python
looping.  Checking the repository, I didn't see any unit tests for the
fftpack library which will make verifying (1) more difficult.

As far as your new fftr function, it sounds like a good addition to me,
but I don't like the name that well.  It is too similar to the original
function name (rfft and fftr) and could cause confusion.  I'd go for
rfft2, except that it sounds like it is doing a 2d rfft.  No other
suggestions come immediately to mind though.

On exposing more transforms from fftpack, that sounds like a good idea
that is easily done with f2py than by hand.  I wonder though, if the
standard jpeg library doesn't have a blazing fast cosine transform
function that we might use.  Perhaps it is not worth the trouble of
adding another set of source code...

to support axis arguments if it is to become a replacement for fftpack.
Is there any other functionality you were thinking of dropping?  These
would need to be discussed also.

Thanks,
eric

from