[SciPy-dev] BVP code

Jochen Küpper jochen at jochen-kuepper.de
Tue Apr 23 23:16:48 EDT 2002

On Tue, 23 Apr 2002 16:25:50 -0600 Chuck Harris wrote:

Chuck, sorry to be picky, but could you please break you lines
somewhere around column 74?

Chuck> IIRC they compute the derivative of the slope-difference with
Chuck> respect to the energy by integrating it along to the meeting
Chuck> point. There *is* an application for Newton's method with
Chuck> computed derivatives! It would be interesting to compare this
Chuck> with one of the good secant methods, brent for instance.

If you look at Cooley's paper (I left the reference in up there), he
describes a correction function whose root has to be found, and then
proposes to use Newton-Raphson for that...

Cheers,
Jochen
    Liberté, Égalité, Fraternité                GnuPG key: 44BCCD8E
        Sex, drugs and rock-n-roll