[SciPy-dev] BVP code

Chuck Harris Chuck.Harris at sdl.usu.edu
Tue Apr 23 15:22:20 EDT 2002

Hi,

I'm not in this loop, but, shooting routines solve boundary value problems for  ODE's. For example, vibrating string problems where separation of variables leads to a second order ODE with one parameter which must satisfy a boundary condition at each end of the string. Satisfy the boundary condition at one end, and then vary the parameter until the integrated ODE satisfies the other boundary condition. Integrating the ODE provides the 'shooting'. Chebychev methods can also provide quick and simple solutions to these types of problems and perhaps it would be nice to include a selection of these.

Chuck