[SciPy-dev] Backwards compatibility for weave

eric eric at scipy.org
Tue Apr 23 14:16:53 EDT 2002

Hey David,

I haven't tested weave against Python 2.0.  The _getframe work around suggested
by Pearu might help.  Also, I think the standard inspect.py module has a stack()
function that serves a similar function.  I'm not sure if inspect.py was part of
2.0 though.  weave also needs distutils -- I think it was in 2.0, right?

Other than that, I don't know of any other show stoppers.  The code generator is
all pure Python code that, other than the stack shinanigans, doesn't do anything
too strange.  Since it uses distutils, weave should build the extension modules
with all the correct settings for 2.0 automatically.

Let me know if there are some easy fixes.  I'm loath to give up the _getframe
call because it is much more efficient than other approaches.  Extra checks and
function calls within inline() or blitz() come at a high price because they slow
down every call to a compiled function.  However, we could supply a different
version of the functions that work with 2.0 if the fixes are simple.

eric