[SciPy-dev] genetic algorithm, number theory, filter design,zero finding

Chuck Harris Chuck.Harris at sdl.usu.edu
Tue Apr 9 21:51:26 EDT 2002

Hi,

fsolve turns out to be a combination of Newton's method and the method of steepest decent. The book by Ralston & Rabinowitz on numerical analysis seems to be good reference, as the basic algorithm is due to Rabinowitz and dates from around 1970. It seems to work well for smooth functions given a good initial estimate of the root (and where does that come from), which is to say it fails miserably on all but one of my tests --- never converges at all, even with repeated calls using the previous estimate. It really wants a nonzero derivative (nonsingular Jacobian) at all points. I think more robust routines are definitely needed in the special one dimensional case.

Chuck