[SciPy-dev] Segfault problems on Mandrake 8.2 -- Python2.2

Travis Oliphant oliphant.travis at ieee.org
Mon Apr 8 17:45:44 EDT 2002

I've had a broken SciPy installation for the past couple of days due to
a pretty obnoxious bug.  I'm not sure which package is to blame (could
be the Mandrake 8.2 toolchain???

But, I've finally isolated the problem to an -fPIC flag given when
compiling _minpackmodule.c

If I don't add this flag and compile the module manually then I get a
module that loads and seems to work fine.  The default SciPy install
adds this flag and results in a module that segfaults when Python tries
to open it.

I have no idea what is going on, and at this point would much rather get
back to doing useful work.

My question to those who designed the scipy_distutils is (can I specify
whether or not to include this -fPIC flag and how?)

Any information anyone has about this problem, and how to better fix it
I would appreciate.

Thanks,

Travis