[SciPy-dev] Extra marker in X-Y plot

Magnus Lyckå magnus at thinkware.se
Fri Nov 9 07:35:46 EST 2001

I'm using an ordinary plt.plot to display an x-y plot
with two curves. So far so good. The problem is that
in many cases, only a certain portion of the curves
are relevant, and I'd like to show that in some way.

For instance, I could imagine a vertical line like in
http://www.thinkware.se/tmp/plotwithmarker.jpg

One thought was to make this a third curve, and to just
make that a step function, or a "singularity". The
problem is that the two "real" curves don't usually
have a point in this x-location.

I'm open for other solutions as well, as lines or
point markers changing colour or shape after the relevant
x-position (7.38 in the figure).

Is there some feature that I overlooked?

The closest to a solution I've found so far is to
use plt.xaxis() to let the user toggle between showing
all measurements or just the relevant parts. That works,
but it doesn't give the quick visual response I want.

Suggestions would be appreciated.

/Magnus

--
Magnus Lyckå, Thinkware AB