[SciPy-dev] State of stats modules?

eric eric at scipy.org
Mon Nov 5 09:55:33 EST 2001

Hey Mangus,

About stats.py:

Most of the stats module was written by Gary Strangman
(http://www.nmr.mgh.harvard.edu/Neural_Systems_Group/gary/).  As far as I
know, it's the most full featured stats module around, and has very good
doc-strings.  Gary developed it for his own research, and, as such, it is
somewhat specialized to his field.  Still, it is very usable, and, at least
for the functions I have used, reliable.

Gary's work was/is an excellent starting point for SciPy's statistics
capabilities.  Most of the work needed is actually trimming out extra
functionality not needed or duplicated, adding unit test functions, and
assuring that functions behave similarly in calling convention to other
Numeric/SciPy functions.  The new_stats.py module is the beginnings of this
effort, but it hasn't had any attention in a while.  There are also the
beginnings of some unit testing in the stats/tests directory.  Hopefully a
full compliment of unit tests will develop so there are fewer questions
about result vailidity.

aanova and collapse:

I haven't used these, and don't know much about them.  I'll forward this to
Gary and see if he has any comments.

> Anyone caring for this?

The stats module deserves some attention, but isn't receiving any right now.
Any takers?

see ya,
eric