[SciPy-dev] Splines in SciPy

Tim Lahey tjlahey at mud.cgl.uwaterloo.ca
Wed Aug 1 19:09:41 EDT 2001

All,

Getting the new version of SciPy from CVS I was happy to see the
inclusion
of splines support. However, it is split between interpolate and
signal. I
personally would prefer a separate splines module. Some of us use splines
for neither of the above. I've been using B-splines as a basis for a
finite
element method. The SLATEC library on Netlib has an set of excellent
spline codes based upon de Boor's code. The only problem is that it
doesn't
support 2-D.

I've written a set of F90 wrappers around the code to support some stuff
in 2-D and provide a more object-oriented api, but I don't need
interpolation
so, I've been ignoring that part. I've been planning a port to Python
and I'd
be happy to help in the development of the splines part of scipy.

Thoughts?

Cheers,

Tim Lahey