[scikit-learn] what is "value" in the nodes of trees in a gbm?

Nicolas Hug niourf at gmail.com
Mon Oct 30 12:34:25 EDT 2023

The node values in GBDTs are an aggregation (typically a regularized
average) of the *gradients *of the samples in that node.

Each sample (x, y) is associated with a gradient computed as grad =
d_loss(pred(x), y) / d_pred(x). These gradients are in the same physical
dimension as the target (for regression). Some resources that may help:

- https://explained.ai/gradient-boosting/descent.html
- https://nicolas-hug.com/blog/gradient_boosting_descent (self plug)

Nicolas