[scikit-learn] About the Boston housing prices dataset

Christian Lorentzen lorentzen.ch at gmail.com
Wed Oct 14 06:01:58 EDT 2020

Hi

As was recently mentioned in PR #18594, the problem with the boston
housing dataset does not go away, just because we remove it from
scikit-learn. On the contrary, it is a valuable dataset to show and
teach bias and discrimination - issue #16715 is still waiting for
someone to write an example - in particular because we have access to
the variable "B".

Most, if not all, of the datasets in scikit-learn are available
elsewhere, even in python. So I don't think this is a good argument
either for removal.

As we've now removed it from tests and examples, the question for me is:
What do we want to achieve furthermore?
Answers I can think of go down a political road...

I'm fine with Olivier's suggestion
https://github.com/scikit-learn/scikit-learn/pull/18594#issuecomment-707626543.

All the best,
Christian