[scikit-learn] Why is subset invariance necessary for transfom()?

Charles Pehlivanian pehlivaniancharles at gmail.com
Sat Jan 25 10:52:36 EST 2020

To summarize - for mds, spectralembedding, it looks like there is no
transform method that will satisfy both

  1. fit(X).transform(X)  == fit_transform(X)
  2. transform(X)[i:i+1] == transform(X[i:i+1])

that's because the current fit_transform doesn't factor nicely into those 2
steps. The last step returns a subset of eigenvalues of a modified Gram
matrix.

For PCA, kernel PCA, LLE, fit_transform is something like: center data, do
U,S,V = SVD, project data onto submatrix of V. The last step is matrix
multiplication. Last step in transform methods there are np.dot(...). That
factors nicely.

There could be a transform_batch method for mds which would satisfy 1.,
then transform could call transform_batch rowwise, to satisfy 2, but no
single method will work.

I don't know if there is appetite for separation and modification of
unittests involved.

Charles