[scikit-learn] Can I evaluate clustering efficiency incrementally?

Joel Nothman joel.nothman at gmail.com
Thu May 16 03:06:37 EDT 2019

The contingency matrix (
https://scikit-learn.org/stable/modules/generated/sklearn.metrics.cluster.contingency_matrix.html)
counts how many times each pair of (true cluster, predicted cluster)
occurs. It is sufficient statistics for every "supervised" (i.e. ground
truth-based) clustering evaluation metric in Scikit-learn. In an
incremental setting, you can simply add to the contingency matrix with each
new predicted batch. In
https://github.com/scikit-learn/scikit-learn/issues/8103 I proposed that we
provide an API for calculating clustering metrics from the sufficient
statistics alone, but it's not come to fruition.