[scikit-learn] Vote on SLEP010: n_features_in_ attribute

Andreas Mueller t3kcit at gmail.com
Wed Dec 4 11:05:57 EST 2019

On 12/4/19 5:05 AM, Trevor Stephens wrote:
> Makes sense Joel, wasn't mentioned in the docs, so was a bit strange.
> Still feels a bit weird but I'm sure I'll adapt_in and thrive_out.

Indeed, and as Joel said, we'll have n_features_out_ added soon.
Having both is quite helpful in many situations.

The naming is also meant to be analogous to future "feature_names_in_"
and "feature_names_out_
attribute. Right now we have "get_feature_names()", which actually
refers to the output features.

That's a whole lot of new attributes, but after quite a lot of
deliberation that's the solution we came up with,
as there were major flaws in all other proposals.

The SLEP for that is being rewritten right now.
There's some conversation in
https://github.com/scikit-learn/enhancement_proposals/pull/18 but the
document doesn't reflect the current consensus.

Andy