[scikit-learn] Breiman vs. scikit-learn definition of Feature Importance

Sebastian Raschka mail at sebastianraschka.com
Fri May 4 19:58:03 EDT 2018

Not sure how it compares in practice, but it's certainly more efficient to rank the features by impurity decrease rather than by OOB permutation performance you wouldn't need to
a) compute the OOB performance (an extra pass inference step)
b) permute a feature column and do another inference pass and compare it to a)
c) repeat step b) for each feature column

Another reason would be that Breiman's suggestion wouldn't work that well for certain RandomForestClassifier settings in scikit-learn, e.g., setting bootstrap=False etc.

If you like to compute the feature importance after Breiman's suggestion, I have implemented a simple wrapper function for scikit-learn estimators here:

http://rasbt.github.io/mlxtend/user_guide/evaluate/feature_importance_permutation/#example-1-feature-importance-for-classifiers

Note that it's not using OOB samples but an independent validation set though, because it's a general function that should not be restricted to random forests. If you have such an independent dataset, it should give more accurate results than using OOB samples.

Best,
Sebastian