[scikit-learn] ANN Scikit-learn 0.18 released

Joel Nothman joel.nothman at gmail.com
Thu Sep 29 23:07:21 EDT 2016

(this has been in drafts a few days and I'm sure there's plenty I've missed
from the lists below)

Well done, everyone! The size of this release - and the group of people
that contributed to it - is even a bit overwhelming. Thanks for managing
the release, Andy... and writing it up as a book!

We've got a lot in the works already for 0.19.

There are a number of things that have been a long time coming and which
I'd really like to see happen, such as:

* multiple metrics for cross validation (#7388 et al.)
* documenting and officially making (most) utils public (#6616)
* indicator features for Imputer, done right (#6556)
* KNN imputation (#2989, #4844)
* ColumnTransformer or similar for heterogeneous data (#2034, #886)
* dataset resampling (#1454)
* string handling in OneHotEncoder (#7327)
* interpolation in average_precision_score (#7356)
* tree categorical splits (#4899)
* k-best feature selection from a model's feature_importances_ (#6717)
* ? feature name transformation (#6425)
* ? sample_weight support in CV scoring (#1179, #2879, #3524, #1574;
perhaps this isn't as easy as it looks)

There are things that are important but will probably require more work:

* making common tests and their exceptions more general (perhaps by way of
"estimator tags")
* improving our LSH offerings and integration

It's all a bit overwhelming and all help ensuring that the issue backlog is
tracked, and that the solutions are designed, built and reviewed would be
most welcome!