[scikit-learn] Problem using boxplots to compare significance of model performance

Sebastian Raschka se.raschka at gmail.com
Sun Oct 30 17:38:18 EDT 2016

Hi, Suranga

> So, I may have to go over 2 models, so McNamara's may not be an option :(

Sure, but there are many other hypothesis tests, was just a suggestion since I thought you just wanted compare 2 models :)

> plt.boxplot(results)
> So what does "results" look like?
>
> [0.85433808345719897, 0.8976733724549345]

You can’t do a boxplot based on 1 single value.

> These are the two precision values calculated for each neural network. Exactly what should 1Darray_of_model1_results look like? is it one value per model or....

This should work:

model_1 = [0.85,   # experiment 1
           0.84]   # experiment 2

model_2 = [0.84,  # experiment 1
    0.83]  # experiment 2

plt.boxplot([model_1, model_2])

However, a boxplot based on 2 values only doesn’t make sense imho, I you could just plot the range.

Best,
Sebastian