[scikit-image] A request for more frequent releases

Mark Harfouche mark.harfouche at gmail.com
Sun Sep 9 03:09:08 EDT 2018

Hi Juan,

Thank you for the quick reply.

The amount of work to overhaul the release infrastructure is definitely non
trivial. I totally agree. That is why it isn't worth doing
Changing the build infrastructure and the release infrastructure needs to
be done carefully (as I have learned a few times asking others to install
empty packages of mine :S).
That said, I think we can approach your "tag to release" idea, especially
with the amount of resources available for OSS on Github.

You are totally, rebasing is really an advanced feature and quite
difficult. I've had trouble explaining it to many of my team mates.
Lets keep discussing ideas for the changelog. I definitely think we can
improve on the current state of "go through the old PRs".

A monthly release cycle is fine, but as is, I think it is too much work to
expect from people "donating" their time. That said, I'm not the one
cutting the releases.

I know the build infrastructure is complex, but this isn't something that
was ever easy to understand. Bots aren't easy to understand either.
This is because PyPi wants to target the oldest linux it can, and not
because scikit-image is much harder to compile than other python projects.

As it stands, we were surprised by failures on 32 bit linux when 0.14 came
around. This should have been caught and marked as `xfail` a long time ago.
By having the wheel infrastructure built into the every day process, we
should be much more confident that we could release 0.15 "tomorrow" without
fear that something would break on one of our supported architectures.
And yes, I mean .15 since I've been living on master for the last few
months, though I've slowly been reverting to 0.14 + monkey patching (which
I really don't like).

I posted it here as it seems that these organizational changes are
discussed more on here than on github.

Mark