[scikit-image] Minimum Python version?

Juan Nunez-Iglesias jni at fastmail.com
Tue Jun 26 21:17:53 EDT 2018

On Wed, Jun 27, 2018, at 9:03 AM, Stefan van der Walt wrote:
> $ pypinfo skimage pyversion

pypinfo! Awesome!

> | python_version | download_count |
> | -------------- | -------------- |
> | 3.6            |          3,172 |
> | 2.7            |          1,995 |
> | 3.5            |          1,866 |
> | 3.4            |            118 |
> | None           |             85 |
> | 3.7            |             18 |
>
> It looks like 3.5 currently makes up about 37% of Python 3 installs.
> This number should come down over the next few months, but I suggest we
> keep supporting 3.5 for at least one more release.

Another way of looking at these numbers is that 3.5 makes up a smaller proportion than 2.7, which we are now supporting only via the LTS. ;) But I am being facetious. The sum of 2.7 and 3.5 is more than 3.6. It would be bad to only support a minority of our users in master.

Thanks for the info! I agree, let's wait until one month after 0.15 and check the stats again at that point.

Juan.

Ok so I looked at the command and thought, hmm, should that be scikit-image? After 30 painful minutes of setting up my own bigquery credentials:

pypinfo scikit-image pyversion

| python_version | download_count |
| -------------- | -------------- |
| 2.7            |         61,274 |
| 3.6            |         23,767 |
| 3.5            |         20,466 |
| None           |          3,693 |
| 3.4            |          1,048 |
| 3.7            |             81 |
| 3.3            |              3 |
| 2.6            |              2 |
| 3.2            |              1 |

This comes with all the caveats of tracking PyPI downloads (most are from CI etc), but nevertheless: yes, let's keep 3.5 around. And let's make good on our LTS promise. =)