[scikit-image] building scikit-image plugin and tool set.

Stefan van der Walt stefanv at berkeley.edu
Fri Jun 30 13:48:27 EDT 2017

Hi, YXDragon

On Fri, Jun 30, 2017, at 01:46, imagepy at sina.com wrote:
>      Now I think It is time to build a project named skimg-plgs[1].
>      And I had wrote some presentative demo[2] with friendly interact.
>      these demo are all from the gallery, (interactive snake contours,
>      interactive watershed...) I want to build a full plugin system
>      and tool set covering scikit-image's every module. Then we can
>      build a large user community like ImageJ, not only programers but
>      also the doctors and biologists.
Given the immense success of projects such as ImageJ, and based on
feedback I've received from practitioners in microscopy, there is
certainly a market for a GUI built on top of scikit-image.
I don't personally have the time to contribute to such an effort at
the moment (my focus is probably best spent keeping skimage on
track!), but I am appreciative of the work you are doing, and
encourage you to continue.
I may have mentioned this to you before, but I am not sure about the long-
term viability of WXPython.  I heard that they have a Phoenix rewrite
underway, but looking at the latest PyPI release
(https://pypi.python.org/pypi/wxPython/4.0.0a1) they also only support
Windows and MacOS.
With a Jupyter Lab release imminent, I would strongly consider using the
web as UI, and building components that integrate with that project.  I
can put you in contact with their developers, if you like.
Best regards
Stéfan

Links:

  1. https://github.com/Image-Py/skimg-plgs