[scikit-image] Why does img_as force incoming data

Stefan van der Walt stefanv at berkeley.edu
Wed Jun 21 19:16:46 EDT 2017

Hi Dave

On Wed, Jun 21, 2017, at 15:22, David Protter wrote:
> Hi all, new here and having a lot of fun using Skimage for scientific
> image analysis.
Glad to hear it!

> I’m doign some normalization on images coming in as uint16, to expand
> their dynamic range. After normalization, images are float64, and I’m
> trying to convert them back to uint16. However, it seems like all the
> img_as functions ignore the kind of float coming in, since anything of
> kind float is constrained to [-1 to 1]. Below is the section out of
> the convert() function that seems to do this.
Floating point images are expected to be between -1 and 1, as
described here:
http://scikit-image.org/docs/stable/user_guide/data_types.html

However, many functions support working on data in its original range,
by specifying `preserve_range=True`.
To convert your data from uint16 to float without changing its
range, do:
img_float = img.astype(float)

Best regards
Stéfan