[scikit-image] Future of nose and issues for scikit-image

Thomas Caswell tcaswell at gmail.com
Mon Jan 2 21:09:45 EST 2017

Parameterized tests in pytest are _way_ better than the yield based tests.
I use pytest fixtures pretty heavily at my day job and am super happy.

mpl's test suite on master currently runs under both as of
https://github.com/matplotlib/matplotlib/pull/6730 (we now have some pytest
only tests as well) and are probably a few days of effort away from
switching entirely (our tests.py script still runs the nose version).

The big advantage of supporting both (at least for a while) is that you can
get both to run and report they ran the same number of tests to be sure you
did not make any mistakes.  The test suite protects you when you refactor
the code, what protects you when you refactor the tests >:)

Tom