Most efficient way to calculate average value of labelled objects within an image

Robin Wilson r.t.wilson.bak at googlemail.com
Fri May 13 05:54:51 EDT 2016

Hi,

I have a labelled image, where each individual connected object has a
unique integer value (eg. as produced from skimage.measure.label), and I
want to get the mean value of these pixels from another image (eg. the
image that I originally segmented before labelling).

What is the most efficient way to do this? The naive way is to loop over
the values in the image calculating it for each one - but I assume that
numpy (or skimage itself) has a far better way of doing this...

Thanks,

Robin

Dr Robin Wilson
Research Fellow