jpeg image being read differently skimage.io.imread

Vimal Thilak vimalthilak at gmail.com
Thu Mar 3 15:13:23 EST 2016

Hi,

I have two servers on which I have installed skimage. When I do an
skimage.io.imread on these two machines with the same image file, I noticed
a difference in the shape of the returned image array:

Machine 1:

image_name = /path/to/JPEG

img = skimage.io.imread(image_name)

>>> img.shape

(3000, 4000, 3)

Machine 2:

img = skimage.io.imread(image_name)

>>> img.shape

(2, )

Both machines have skimage version '0.11.3'. I believe that both systems
have Pillow installed. I do not know the version of Pillow. I did change
the plug-in to matplotlib on Machine 2 and saw that the image was being
read correctly. However, I'm curious to know the reason for this difference
and what I can do to fix my machine #2

Furthermore, how do I find the version of Pillow installed on my system? A
google search didn't come up with anything that was helpful (i.e,
copy-pastable solution) :)

Thanks,

-Vimal