Interesting to include a the Scattering transform in sci-kit image?

Sira Ferradans sira.ferradans at gmail.com
Mon Jun 13 09:02:15 EDT 2016

Dear Sci-kit image developers,

at the ENS (Paris) we are planning on implementing a Python version of the
Scattering transform 2D and 1D. The scattering transform has proven to be
very powerful as a descriptor for image classification and signal analysis.
We thought that it may be useful to integrate the 2D version in the sci-kit
image package, since it aligns well with the software package and the
community. The idea would be to implement the functionalities following as
much as possible the APIs you already have for similar functions. More
specifically, we will need the following (approximately):

                -Morlet wavelet: Closely related to the Gabor wavelet, so
it should take into account its API
                -Scattering transform: output the scattering transform
coefficients, either for display or (as a vector) for learning purposes.

We are attaching a small tutorial (better visualized if you download it)
that compares the performance of the first order scattering coefficients
computed with Gabor filters, versus the coefficients you extract in the *'Gabor
filter banks for texture classification'
<http://scikit-image.org/docs/dev/auto_examples/features_detection/plot_gabor.html#example-features-detection-plot-gabor-py>*
tutorial. The goal of this ipython notebook is to show that the
implementation can be easily integrated in you library while providing a
powerful tool for image analysis.

If you think this is a good idea, please let us know. Moreover, it would be
great if you could give us some guidelines that you think would make the
process easier. We will be adhering to the instructions given on the
contributions page, but please don't hesitate to give feedback on our PR!

Best Regards,

Michael Eickenberg and Sira Ferradans.