Dropping support for 2.7 in 2020

Thomas Kluyver takowl at gmail.com
Mon Jul 4 05:55:04 EDT 2016

On 4 July 2016 at 10:47, François Boulogne <fboulogne at sciunto.org> wrote:

> Does it mean that all new version of those libraries will support
> python2.7 until 2020 or just that you can release a bugfix to already
> released version supporting 2.7?
>
> If it's the first option, it means we can't use python3 features before
> 2020 and we will be "in late" with these features.

The statement doesn't commit projects to support 2.7 until any specific
date - scikit-bio already went Python 3 only with its release last month,
for instance. We're agreeing to end Python 2 support by 2020, but projects
are welcome to do it earlier than that.

For IPython, we're planning for the 6.0 feature release (some time in 2017)
to be Python 3 only, while we'll make bugfix releases of the 5.x series for
longer than normal to support users on Python 2.