Dropping support for 2.7 in 2020

Thomas Kluyver takowl at gmail.com
Mon Jul 4 05:38:50 EDT 2016

I'd like to revive this discussion with a bit of added context. We
(principally people from IPython/Jupyter, Matplotlib, Sympy and Scikit-bio)
are putting together a statement for Scientific Python community projects
to signal that we're not planning to maintain Python 2 support forever.
We're saying that we will end Python 2 support in or before 2020, to
correspond with the end of support for Python 2.7 itself.

http://python3statement.github.io/

The more projects that get on board with this, the better we can make the
case that researchers and users need Python 3 to be available. Then we can
all benefit from a reduced maintenance burden. So scikit-image wouldn't be
making a lone stand on this - there are a number of projects already
agreeing to drop Python 2 support by 2020, and we hope there will be more
soon.

Thanks,
Thomas