ANN: imageio v1.0

Stefan van der Walt stefan at sun.ac.za
Mon Nov 17 14:04:31 EST 2014

Hi Almar

On 2014-11-14 00:40:37, Almar Klein <almar.klein at gmail.com> wrote:
> With that, I suppose skimage could focus on the processing rather than
> the io, since ideally, we'd have one library for processing images, and
> one for reading/saving images.

That is certainly the direction we're aiming for.  At the moment, we try
to have a minimal setup that works in 80% of use-cases.  Once imageio is
distributed widely in the main distributions, we can even make it a
default dependency.

In the mean time, let's talk about integrating it as a plugin, or
perhaps add a page to the skimage docs on how to read more exotic
formats (especially cross-platform video would be a big win!).

Stéfan