generic non-linear filtering that support selem and boundary handling

Josh Warner silvertrumpet999 at gmail.com
Tue May 27 00:49:55 EDT 2014

Basically OSX uses Clang, and Clang doesn't (yet) support OpenMP. Some
people are working toward this, but it's not in there yet. OSX is the only
architecture for which this is a problem.

There are a lot of places in skimage where relatively simple optimizations
(release the GIL, use prange) would reap very large performance benefits.
I'd asked about this before, and it was viewed as not feasible due to
Clang's limitations.

However, I looked at this again just now and it *might *be that Cython
simply ignores OpenMP features under Clang, compiling as if they didn't
exist (i.e. basically substitution range for prange). If that is true, I
could submit these without much issue... and we could expose pretty
dramatic improvements to some existing Cython loops. Sadly, I don't have a
Clang platform to test this behavior.

Josh