GSoC project request for comments

Juan Nunez-Iglesias jni.soma at gmail.com
Thu Jun 12 21:56:33 EDT 2014

For the majority of users, nx will already be installed as part of their
scientific python distribution (Anaconda, Canopy, Python-xy, etc). For the
rest, nx's install size is small enough that I don't think it's an issue.

Stéfan's question is more pertinent. What does nx provide that we need or
would find useful?

- max flow / min cut useful for some segmentation algorithms
- minimum spanning trees (maximin affinity learning)
- biconnected components (useful to remove segments embedded in other
segments)
- shortest paths
- community detection

There's probably other graph-theoretical nicenesses that are useful for
segmentation but I haven't considered yet. scipy.sparse.csgraph provides a
fraction of these. And our own custom class provides none of these.

Juan.