Make Pillow a requirement

Jonathan Helmus jjhelmus at gmail.com
Fri Jul 11 12:28:50 EDT 2014

On 7/11/14, 10:44 AM, Stéfan van der Walt wrote:
> Hi Juan
>
> On Fri, Jul 11, 2014 at 5:32 PM, Juan Nunez-Iglesias <jni.soma at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Cheap solution: make Pillow a requirement.
> My suggestion last time was to make 'imread' a requirement--what do you think?
>
> Stéfan

 From my experience, imread is not as widely available as PIL and
pillow.  PIL and pillow are both provided in the Anaconda repositories
but imread is not.  I set up a test environment on OS X and Windows with
the current master and tried running the skimage unit tests with the
required dependencies as well as with pillow and PIL, results are:

Only Required Dependencies: 2 Errors (Win); 2 Errors/2 Fails (OS X)
"" + pillow: 106 Errors, 4 Fails (Win); 1 Error (OS X)
"" + PIL: tests pass (Win); 1 Error (OS X).

All packages were from Anaconda's repo, 32 bit Windows, OS X 10.9.

     - Jonathan Helmus