ndarray subclasses

Juan Nunez-Iglesias jni.soma at gmail.com
Sat Sep 21 22:37:44 EDT 2013

On Sat, Sep 21, 2013 at 11:55 PM, Jaime Fernández del Río <
jaime.frio at gmail.com> wrote:

> I called it "spacing"... We should probably agree on a terminology
>> library-wide. Incidentally, Josh, I called it "spacing" because of your
>> SciPy talk. ;)
>>

> I know the real world is just a particular case we shouldn't be too
> concerned about, but isn't "sampling" or "spacing" basically what everyone
> else calls "resolution"?

Not exactly. The resolution is the minimum distance at which you can
distinguish two points. If you upscale your image just by doubling up each
pixel along each dimension, your pixel spacing/sampling is half but your
resolution hasn't changed.

Similarly, stick a crappy lens in front of a sensor with very tiny pixel
spacing, and your image resolution is limited by the lens, but your pixel
spacing is unchanged.

Often, the sensor is the limiting factor, which is why we confuse the two.
=)