Returning an image from the viewer

Juan Nunez-Iglesias jni.soma at gmail.com
Tue Oct 29 00:05:59 EDT 2013

Thanks Josh!

On Tue, Oct 29, 2013 at 10:25 AM, Josh Warner <silvertrumpet999 at gmail.com>wrote:

> There was some discussion about the save functionality in the original PR.
> I admit, I advocated to change "File -> Save As" from saving the overlay to
> saving the actual image the user sees... so feel free to send some blame
> for the present behavior my way.

I can see both use cases. The solution, imho, is to have two menu items,
"save displayed as" and "save overlay as". I'll make a separate PR for that
function. =)

There should be an option to add a Save Overlay *button* which should allow
> you to grab the overlay specifically.

I thought about that but wasn't able to wrap my head around how to do that
before asking for help here. =)

>  As to your second question: I think you can send data either to a file,
> or to a buffer which can be read out using `skimage.io.pop`. I've used this
> before, but my memory is a bit fuzzy on it now. If this isn't currently
> available for scripting like your hoped-for functionality example, I'm sure
> it could be implemented.

I saw a comment in the code saying something similar to "this doesn't work
for interactive sessions", which scared me off it a little bit. But I'll
look into that option, which seems most suited to my needs.

Thanks for the PR fixing the save dialog if it's RGB!

No worries! Hopefully it'll get reviewed soon... ;)