seeking advice on HoG applicability

Josh Warner silvertrumpet999 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 7 20:00:06 EDT 2013

Hi Lisa,

That's an interesting problem! Off the top of my head, I have a couple
questions:

Are you making any attempt to mask the HoG features to the above-ground,
green regions? The example images have the entire root structure shown, yet
the visual classification you described is exclusive to the greenery. The
roots are not well separated from the soil, either, so that entire region
is may be confounding your task. This would be true for any feature
algorithm, not just HoG.

Have you tried visualizing the HoG output with the `visualize` kwarg? This
could give you a sense for what HoG is actually extracting.

It sounds like you may have a dimensionality problem thanks to high image
resolution, combined with a relatively low number of images to compare.
This can be partially addressed by tweaking HoG parameters (especially
`pixels_per_cell`, I believe) or scaling your images down to a uniform,
smaller size. In addition, scikit-learn has several feature selection
algorithms, such as PCA, which can help reduce the number a features to a
manageable level.

If I get the chance to directly play with your example pictures, I'll pop
back in with a few more thoughts.

Good luck,

Josh