Describing superpixels

Stéfan van der Walt stefan at sun.ac.za
Tue Apr 23 11:01:40 EDT 2013

On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 2:42 PM, Juan Nunez-Iglesias <jni.soma at gmail.com> wrote:
> Got it. Slightly more space, slightly faster. I imagine you stored repeated
> row indices if the object was not convex?
>
>> Perhaps it will be a bit painful to extend to N-d, but it is doable.

You don't even need to.  Have a look at section 3.1 of

https://scholar.sun.ac.za/handle/10019.1/4883

Either way, I'm not sure I like how this generalized to N-d space--I'd
rather work with a graph.  So, when it comes down to that, it looks
like we have two choices: implement a memory efficient and slightly
more computationally expensive implementation, or simply pre-calculate
all the neighbor indices and store that.  Hrm, that reminds me of the
solution we used for ImageCollection--let's just set a
memory_efficient flag.  If True, we only store the last flood fill
result, if False, we store all flood fill results as they are
computed.  Easy to implement, and gives the user control of memory
growth.  What do you think?

Stéfan