GSOC 2013 Proposal

Stéfan van der Walt stefan at sun.ac.za
Fri Apr 12 06:17:06 EDT 2013

Hi Siddhart

On Tue, Apr 9, 2013 at 2:10 PM, siddharth kherada
<siddharthkherada27 at gmail.com> wrote:
> a) I want to point out that the domain transform filter is better than
> bilateral filter and can be used in various applications in which bilateral
> filter is used.

That may well be, but it's not something that users have expressed
great demand for so far.

> b) Image denoising using non-local means method. Is this already
> implemented?

This is definitely of interest, but not wide enough in scope for a
GSoC.  If you want to tackle this sort of problem, you may want to
propose implementing a wide array of denoising methods, in order to
compare them all.

> c) Some Image Debluring techniques:
>
>                1) Deblur image using blind deconvolution
>                2) Deblur image using Lucy-Richardson method
>                3) Deblur image using regularized filter
>                4) Deblur image using Wiener filter
>
> What is your opinion about the above techniques?

I would like to see an implementation of the blind deconvolution
algorithm shown by Adobe:

https://groups.google.com/d/topic/scikit-image/phSilruONQE/discussion

The other algorithms above would be good to have as a baseline comparison.

Regards
Stéfan