Test error with tifffile plugin

Tony Yu tsyu80 at gmail.com
Tue May 29 23:18:56 EDT 2012

On Tue, May 29, 2012 at 9:40 PM, Stéfan van der Walt <stefan at sun.ac.za>wrote:

> On Tue, May 29, 2012 at 5:51 PM, Tony Yu <tsyu80 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Are there any other plugins that should explicitly state that they
> provide
> > 'imread_collection'? I can run `skimage.io.ImageCollection` but not
> > `skimage.io.imread_collection` so presumably some other plugin(s) can
> read
> > image collections.
>
> Would it help to modify the test plugin to handle image collections?
> I'm not sure if that is loaded by default in the test suite.  The idea
> was to eventually have the tiff loader handle multiple layers as an
> ImageCollection as well (and the video loading routines, too).
>
> Stéfan

Hmm, I don't think so. It looks like `skimage.io._plugins.plugin.call`
looks in `skimage.io.plugin_store`. But `plugin_store` is populated by the
first installed plugin in a list of preferred
plugins<https://github.com/scikits-image/scikits-image/blob/master/skimage/io/__init__.py#L13>.
Whatever matches, takes over all io operations (more or less). If that
plugin doesn't provide `imread_collection`, then that entry in
`plugin_store` remains empty. (In other words, after accepting a
plugin, there's no additional check afterwards to fill in the functions not
provided by that plugin.)

Is there any reason why there's no default `imread_collection` which just
passes arguments to `ImageCollection`?

-Tony